Dumb and struck

She was totally frantic. Moving frantically across from one end of the room to the next. Running the same line over and  over. Mumbling. Prima facie, she was a little dopey. The glass in her hand had bourbon and the little round-edged cubes which must have been full-sized at some point.

“You know…”, she almost jumped at me when I entered the room barely comprehending her centre of gravity. With that girl around you for two years, you know she is just struggling to express.

Everytime she scratched her hair near her temple and lunged, I knew she was fighting to wrest words from thin air. I knew I had to feed her those words. But which ones?

“You know when we talk to so many people and read so many books, we start to know the way people behave”, she raised her eyebrows at me to solicit approval for conversation to continue. I nodded along.

“You know how things go out of control when you start to care”, her words were slurring. I wanted to go along but we have had strong disagreements on the topic in the past. The brief pause felt like the moment of disconnect with potential to ruin the chances of a possible conclusion. “Damn the world and its hypocrisy and its darkness and its pessimism”, the words were popular in her vocabulary. I may have been desperate but I instantly knew they were random with no relevance. I had taken a cheap shot. She looked at me in total confusion which moulded into derision the way she constricted her eyes. If any words were to be spoken, I had to take myself out and I hung my head down. Maybe then she could forgive if I didn't make eye-contact. Yet I could feel her eyes piercing me with sharp judgement.

But when you know a girl you know the reason behind the crinkle on her forehead, fold between her eye and her cheek, the way her lips move. My sense organs knew she was turning away. And I couldn't let her.

I rose my head, slid my hands around her waist while my left hand ended at her back. It was more of my admission than it was hers. I was in love with her. She pushed me slowly and I let myself get wheeled away slightly. Silently. She was not angry rather her cheeks were damserk. No word would remain unsaid now.

“This. How is it that when I see you my heart stops. When you are not around, I hate for so many reasons but the moment you show up all I want is to put my hand into yours while my head clings to your chest and we dance. For hours. A day. Days and then forever. I can't explain any of this”, I knew it was my moment.

____________________
Prompt : Use word and its meaning as plot's basis.
CATALYST = an agent that provokes or speeds significant change or action
____________________

Comments

  1. The way you phrased the sentences to match the main character's mood added to the tone of this piece for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Honest Opinion please,