Once upon a time

She asked me to come along to pick out the dress. 

"I needed someone with an honest opinion and I couldn't think of anyone better than you", she asked me to come along. It was the least I could do for the person he was going to marry.

I had a good taste for sure. I could have gifted her one but it didn't feel right. No one should have their wedding gown gifted. By anybody. Slightly off-shoulder, bodice laced with flowers all over and a short skirt with the enormous train. We knew no matter how many we tried that was the one she was supposed to take. 

The day of wedding arrived. The flowers, the music, the bouquet, the caterer everything and everyone was present. The seating was perfect. I had spent quite a lot of time trying to seat the compatibles together and the non-compatibles far across the hall for the reception. But the photographer, I could not find him. I couldn't let him ruin my efforts to organizing the wedding. He was still on his way when the ceremony was about to start in 30 minutes or so. I could scream but I could not afford to lose my calm. I found the disposables and distributed them to few people so that she doesn't miss out on any elusive nuance or expression of love they share when they say "I do." or any moment before or after that.

The gown flew fluidly across her body accentuated by the curls playing whimsically alongside her face. She was the most gorgeous bride. 

"Did you check outside? Is everybody having fun? Are you sure? Do I look good?", a panicked bride spluttered. 

"You look like an angel", I tried to calm her down. 

"Did you see him? Is he alright? Is he dressed? Could you check up on him?", I had just come after meeting him. He looked so different in his suit finishing up with his final touches but never so handsome. "Please."

"Fine."  

I could not deny her that plus I deserved a last time to see him before I could lose him in my memories. 

"How do I look?", he asked trying to imitate MJ. As always. 

"Perfect".

"How is she doing? Is everything okay outside? Has the priest arrived?"

I could see the wait was irresistible. Pure love. He couldn't wait to get married. I was happy or else I would have gone insane. So I chose to laugh. Tears cropped up in my eyes; few things are simply involuntary. But nevertheless I didn't falter. 

"What would have I done without you?", he hugged me. "I love you. Thank you so much for everything, Em".

" I-Love-You too", they just crept out of my mouth. I wanted them to sound strong but midway they trembled. May be they knew it was the last time they were going to come out of my mouth.  They were not just spoken for the last time but were going to be diffused in an abyss of forever and the unknown. He would never know and I would never tell. The story which could not be completed was better not allowed to fester. It was the goodbye. And so has been.

"There, I had it too. A story of my own. A sad story so incomplete that I inferred be put to rest. But it somehow set balance to my life. I can't explain it any better. But if you were donning my instincts, I am sure you would feel it too." 

"What are you talking about? What balance? What is 'inst-i-ct'?", the 6-year old Nancy asked breaking the protracted silence. "I don't understand. Where is the fairy Godmother?", Nancy handed over her book.   

Emily patted her head. Embarrased.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Based on the quote - "If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane." - Jimmy Buffet

Comments

  1. Sometimes your fairy godmother is someone who loves you enough to put you ahead of her.

    That was beautifully told!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was powerful and so sad! Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Honest Opinion please,