Please don't hate me!

"It’s been long enough", he would look into the mirror and remind himself of that. Barely was he managing to make a new life, a world far from the darkness and the dullness of his beautiful countryside he never would have left otherwise.

The world could be so vengeful. What was he supposed to do with all the memories of his life till the day he escaped? Those were all etched in his mind. Every day he could feel her mother whispering yet yelling his name into his ears, “Jay would you ever get ready on time?”

 “No, I am Seth and I am from Minnesota”, he started chanting.

The many layers of lie he had been loading up had actually become the blanket to keep him safe, from every eye that may look deeper into his genes but his soul. He readied himself for another day at school.

 “Hey man, meet Jay. He’s a transfer from Kennedy!” Smitty introduced Seth to Jay.

The world suddenly turned into negative. The end of his lies, he was now exposed. How could Smitty possibly know? 
“How do you know?”, his entire face turned red and voice tugged between his tongue and teeth.

All those etchings, those memories started flashing in front of his eyes.
The smell of all those roses her mother would line up in the morning, the kiss she would give him every day before he left for school something that his teenage ego loathed. And then the memory of her lying in her own pool of blood surrounded with an unknown crowd running around yelling with a faint whimper of her mother calling out his name while his father was cuffed inside the van.

 “Everybody knows. How can they? It was not my fault. I am sorry. Please don’t hate me. I ... am ... so ... ” his voice faltered into the wind.
It was not like he could forget those alphabets, the order that spelled out his name, the one her mother had given him. “Jay”.

 “No I am not Jay. I am Seth and I am from Minnesota”, it was all he could say to convince himself and that’s what he did.

------------------------------------------------------- 

Comments

  1. Interesting take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the opening two paragraphs and the tone you set from the start. You integrate the quote in a very clever way and the ending is unexpected. I really enjoyed reading your entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colin ... so much ! Your comment made my entry worthwhile !

      Delete
  3. I really like how you used the quote. You left me wanting to know more! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Honest Opinion please,